Skip to main content

Evaluators in IT

One of my major interests early on in my research into evaluators' lives was how different disciplines prepare their novitiates in doing evaluation within each discipline. Many of the interviews I'm linking to this blog come from people representing different disciplines and it would be interesting to search among them to see if there are patterns across representatives from similar disciplines.
ogy field. I am linking some of their interviews to this post to facilitate looking for patterns across them (they are all available through the folders linked my first post in August):

ST's (an experienced IT professional and now retired professor) interviews are here:

MK's (an IT student) interviews are here:

BL's (an experienced IT professor with years of professional experience) interviews are here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rationality and Evaluation

This article illustrates how important some evaluations can be and the fact that they are best made with a combination of rationality AND intuition, gut, feelings and other components that aren't always perceived as being rational. The role of rationality in evaluation came up in many of my interviews.  The following quotes from an interview with Chauncey Riddle, a professor emeritus of philosophy at BYU illustrates some of the issues, which I summarize this way: Most people believe evaluations should be rational but in practice, they go with their feelings, hunches, the Spirit, their conscience, the Light of Christ and/or other inclinations that don't always appear to be rational. R: Well, I've learned that yes, that you can't evaluate without real help from the Spirit. But if you use your own judgment solely, you're very error-prone. DDW: Even if you're trying to be righteous and... R: Even if you're trying to do what's right. And the only ...

Moral Evaluations

During an interview with a philosophy professor at BYU, he made the point that all evaluations by humans have elements of or are clearly filled with moral accountability issues. This theme resounded with my own feelings about my evaluations.  These quotes illustrate- I think it's very difficult to think of an issue of accountability that doesn't quickly become a moral issue. I need to add some more over time.

Values

One of the central conclusions I've been reaching through all the interviews I've conducted is: We all have values that play important roles in all our evaluations whether or not we acknowledge them. Perhaps being aware of our own values and the values of others involved in our evaluation experiences could help us use them more wisely or at least know that we're having to deal with ours and theirs one way or another? The following quotes from Sue Gong's manuscript illustrates this from my evaluation life. DDW’s commitment to family flows through all his papers.  He brings his interviews back to family life as a core value.  This section includes his personal essays on First Memories and this theological foundations for the values he holds most important.  His thoughts on family are filled with deep commitment, puzzlement, quiet tensions, and ongoing connections. First Memories Transcriptionist: Marie Stirk Speaker: David Williams December 14, 2011 [0...