Skip to main content

Religious Freedom and Agency

Religious Freedom and Agency

My son, Ryan, is a chaplain in the US Navy. He is also one of the professionals who are not professional evaluators I interviewed. I've shared, with his and his wife's permission, several interviews we had together about his views on evaluation and agency as a chaplain, as an Air Force band trombonist, and as a father, along with interviews I've done with his wife Nicki.

Today he sent an email about religious freedom and I have posted below a couple of relevant links that summarize some of his and my assumptions and beliefs that guide our evaluation lives and the evaluation lives of many people I've interviewed. I think these assumptions are actually at the heart of most evaluators' belief systems whether or not they have articulated such or even thought about it explicitly. Probably, even if they are atheists and don't believe God gave them their freedom to use their agency to declare themselves such, I believe these are fundamental beliefs of most humans.

As indicated in other posts to this blog I've made recently, I see our purpose for coming to earth as God's spiritual children as an opportunity to learn to evaluate or to use our agency in a wide range of situations.

Regarding religious freedom see https://www.lds.org/topics/religious-freedom?lang=eng

Regarding agency see https://www.lds.org/topics/agency?lang=eng

Transcribe and insert here a segment from Ryan's oral presentation about his responsibility as a chaplain to protect all he serves in their right to use their agency to use their freedom of religion however they choose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rationality and Evaluation

This article illustrates how important some evaluations can be and the fact that they are best made with a combination of rationality AND intuition, gut, feelings and other components that aren't always perceived as being rational. The role of rationality in evaluation came up in many of my interviews.  The following quotes from an interview with Chauncey Riddle, a professor emeritus of philosophy at BYU illustrates some of the issues, which I summarize this way: Most people believe evaluations should be rational but in practice, they go with their feelings, hunches, the Spirit, their conscience, the Light of Christ and/or other inclinations that don't always appear to be rational. R: Well, I've learned that yes, that you can't evaluate without real help from the Spirit. But if you use your own judgment solely, you're very error-prone. DDW: Even if you're trying to be righteous and... R: Even if you're trying to do what's right. And the only ...

Moral Evaluations

During an interview with a philosophy professor at BYU, he made the point that all evaluations by humans have elements of or are clearly filled with moral accountability issues. This theme resounded with my own feelings about my evaluations.  These quotes illustrate- I think it's very difficult to think of an issue of accountability that doesn't quickly become a moral issue. I need to add some more over time.

Evaluators in IT

One of my major interests early on in my research into evaluators' lives was how different disciplines prepare their novitiates in doing evaluation within each discipline. Many of the interviews I'm linking to this blog come from people representing different disciplines and it would be interesting to search among them to see if there are patterns across representatives from similar disciplines. ogy field. I am linking some of their interviews to this post to facilitate looking for patterns across them (they are all available through the folders linked my first post in August): ST's (an experienced IT professional and now retired professor) interviews are here : MK's (an IT student) interviews are here : BL's (an experienced IT professor with years of professional experience) interviews are here :